Colour Trends to Inspire Your 2021
If 2020 taught us anything, it’s that our home and the spaces we create in and around our homes should be comfortable, functional, and bring us joy. And since we are home a LOT, working, learning, eating, and creating memories…we’ve realized the importance of creating these spaces by using colour.
The colour trends for 2021 we are seeing are a perfect reflection of this direction. We are seeking comfort and calm, yet we are also seeking excitement and personality. Which is why for the first time in over 20 years Pantone picked not one, but two colours of the year for 2021, Ultimate Gray, the perfect warm gray, and Illuminating, a bright bold yellow. To reflect our dichotomous and yet very much aligned needs: to feel calm in the face of adversity, and to feel emboldened and empowered to tackle it. So, whether it is a big bold bright hue, or a calming natural tone, if you are looking to use colour to inspire your 2021, we have tips for you. We’ve pulled together some inspiring ways to bring Pantone’s 2021 colours into your home and life.
Throw some colour in!
Toss cushions, accent chairs that double as home office chairs in a bright bold hue, and small décor items like vases and picture frames are a great and relatively easy way to throw some colour into a space. Things to try:
- Taking a cue from maximalist trends, try adding three or four colour & pattern combinations of throw pillows to your sofa. A great place to start is looking at the Pantone colours of the year; a bright yellow and deep gray. Opposites, but awesome together.
- Spray paint photo frames on a gallery wall a bright bold colour or soft saturated one to evoke the mood you want from your room.
- Try other little décor items like vases and planter pots in a similar or opposite colour to unify the space.
Paint the room!
It may seem obvious, but many of us need a little extra push to paint an entire room ourselves. So, here’s your push – just paint the room! You’ll be glad you did. A fresh coat of paint in cool calming tone, or a bright energic hue could be just what you need to inspire your 2021 in the best ways. Things to try:
- Pick a bold and bright hue, and paint the entire room. Decorate using items in an opposite colour, taking a cue from Pantone’s colours of the year choice., the harmony between the two contrasts will have a great effect.
- Start with a small room and work your way up to larger ones to gain comfort and skills.
Mix N Match
Follow Pantone’s lead by choosing two colours to lead us into 2021, and pick more than one colour. Mix and match. Pick a variety of colours and patterns to bring colour to your home. Remember, your home is your sanctuary. You should pick colours that spark joy and bring you happiness. Things to try:
- Add different coloured knobs to furniture such as dresser pulls, or cabinetry. It’s a fun and simple update.
- Try a contrasting-coloured ribbon trim to curtains or drapery using a simple iron on tape.
- Mix and match styles of dining room chairs by having chairs do double duty as desk chairs around the house during the day, and dining table chairs at night. Each in a unique colour or fabric, or both!
We look forward to seeing Pantone’s colour trends predictions each year as they inspire us to make our homes the happy spaces, we want them (and need them) to be and a true reflection of our personalities. What colour trends inspire you most this year?